Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Dermatitis

How's your April been? Mine's been a blur of sickness. A little over 2 weeks ago my coworker got me sick, just a regular cold, but it lead me to develop a throat infection. I was prescribed amoxicillin for it, which my Mom was psyched about because she said its a strong antibiotic and I should get better in no time. WHICH WAS PRETTY TRUE! Fast forward a few days later and the horrible pain in my throat (which lead to pain in my ear) was gone! Hallelujah! There is a 10 day cycle for amoxicillin and yesterday was day 9, which is when I woke up covered in 'hives'.


I first noticed them on my hands and spreading up my arms, itching like you wouldn't believe. Throughout the day I would notice more of them, but notice that they were getting worse. When I first noticed them I remember thinking, "Thank god they aren't on my face!" but by the end of the day my face was covered in them! One trip to the ER later and I found out that I was having a reaction to the antibiotics, even though I had been on day 9 of 10. The practitioner was a little perplexed by the blotches, saying that he has never seen them exactly like mine before (which is comforting). He said they aren't hives, but it is dermatitis, which is swelling of the skin.


Look how happy I am to have this! So I was prescribed a daily steroid to take with Benadryl, and to take cold showers. Hooray. 

No comments:

Post a Comment